Interview with V. K. McAllister (Fantasy Writers)5 min read

Today, I am very excited to be interviewing the authors of Inevitable Ascension, V. K. McAllister, a husband/wife duo with a unique approach to writing. I have to admit that this fact on its own piqued my curiosity instantly.
Plus, they write Fantasy, and they are both nerdy. Do you want to know more about their writing process and book? Then keep reading.

1. Besides V.K. McAllister, what else can we call you, individually?
A lot of folks call us Andrew and Sasha. Makes sense I suppose since those are our real names. 🙂

2. And your pen name, is there a meaning behind it?
In fact there is! We both have these alter egos that represent our “best” selves. Violina for Sasha and Kza for Andrew, thus V. K.. When we achieve all our goals in life (a long list, I might add) we plan to top it off with officially changing our names.

Inevitable-Ascension-Violina-Future-Gas-Mask3. How did the idea for your first book happen?
So it’s not much of a secret that we’re a bit on the nerdy side. One fateful date-night, we were playing Dungeons and Dragons, and the way we play is without manuals or pre-made stories or anything. Andrew just make up the story from my imagination and Sasha gets to experience it on an adventure. Well, by the end of it, we realized we had a story so fresh and original that (in our ever-so-humble opinion) surpassed the popular books/movies at the time—equal parts clever, hilarious and terrifying. From that day forward, we’ve been writing.

4. This one is for Andrew: What did she bring to the story?
Sasha is just freaking funny. The witty, clever, adorable kind of funny. This works perfectly for building the constant banter between the two main characters and makes them very lovable.

5. This one is for Sasha: What did he bring to the story?
Andrew was the brains behind the story. The whole thing is a giant jigsaw puzzle of twists and is very intricately crafted. He also has a knack for making the action sequences really vivid.

6. So how exactly does this process of writing together work? You have mentioned about writing seperately in secret until you merge together what you wrote, but how does the merging happen ?
So before we start writing, we go over the very basic bullet points of what has to happen in a given section, then when we are finally done with our individual attempts, we read them together and highlight our favorite lines (anything clever, funny, chilling etc.) then Andrew works both pieces into a master version and cuts any redundancies. Its great because sometimes our minds go in completely different directions and we are able to put in twists and things that would otherwise not exist.

7. What was the biggest challenge in co-authoring a book?
Surprisingly it goes smoother than you might think! But if we had to pick something, Andrew wanted to put in a joke about about a radioactive cat having X amount of half-lives, but it took about a page of setting up for a mildly amusing payoff that had nothing to do with the story. Solution? Compromise. All the cats are dead.

8. And what was the most rewarding part of writing a book together?
Having the same passion as your spouse is really great. I mean REALLY great. We spend countless hours building something we love together! More couples should do that really.

9. Who did the illustrations? And the cover design?
Andrew. Isn’t he amazing?! I’m so proud of him!

10. What inspired Inevitable Ascension?
I think anyone who endures rush-hour traffic on a daily basis gets some level of inspiration to set the world on fire, right?

11. Have you always been into roleplaying, video games and speculative fiction before you met each other?
Andrew was, Sasha got much more into it after we met.

12. Video games: Who wins?
Most of the time we play on a team, so we both win! ? But we’ve also both kicked one another’s butts often enough when we play 1v1.

inevitable ascension art

We spend countless hours building something we love together! More couples should do that really. Click To Tweet

13. If you could look back and give your younger self one piece of advice, what would it be?
Invest in Google, buddy. It’s gonna be big.

14. Besides being an author, what would your dream job be?
We think it would be fun to pilot a blimp. We know, we know, we dream big.

15. Can you tell us a bit about your next project?
Without getting too spoilerish, here’s a little clue. Readers may recall that a certain someone was left behind and pretty much forgotten about in the chapter “Rising Back Ten Thousand Fold”. The coming result? Absolute mayhem. So yes, the sequel is well underway and should take those little bits of your exploded mind from the first book and explode those into even smaller bits–all figuratively speaking of course. Safety is my number one concern for our readers and no one to my knowledge has ever been hurt reading our books yet. 😉

About the authors

VK-McAllister-Inevitable-Ascension

We’re a husband/wife duo with a unique approach to writing. We work simultaneously and in secret before combining what we come up with, resulting in dramatic and unexpected twists! Crazy? Yes, yes it is.

Facebook  |  Website

About the book

Inevitable Ascension

Inevitable Ascension
by V. K. McAllister
Genre: Fantasy
Published: September 2015

The innocent never waver from doing what’s right, even if it means drowning the world in fire.
Violina had been burned and betrayed by mankind ever since she had sprung into existence. They named her a heretic and condemned her to a pit to live and die in agony. Though she sat stranded, starved and bloodied, she would not submit. Violina, the girl who had been mocked and hunted for rejecting the warped ideals of artificial authority, would lay down her own law.
Inevitable Ascension — A rapid-fire action/adventure novel packed with wit, humor and a host of twists that will literally make your brain explode! Actually, not literally. Otherwise that would be really gross.

Read a free sample on the official website.

Amazon US Amazon UK

18 Comments

1. Imogen Beth Clegg on May 27, 2016 at 11:57 am

Such a cute couple! It's great that they have managed to write a boo together, I don't think me and my partner would ever be able to agree about anything to do that! Great interview, I may just have to get this book 🙂

2. Kerry on May 27, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Sounds like a great book! Fantastic interview, I find it lovely that they can write the book together.

3. Alison Bergstrom Grant on May 27, 2016 at 3:35 pm

I love this that the authors work together to write. Two heads are always better than one. Great questions. I love hearing about what is up and coming!

4. Nicolas Puegher on May 27, 2016 at 3:49 pm

So, everything started with dungeons and dragons? That is pretty cool and interesting story. I always love to read this kind of interview to find a little motivation when trying to write something or have some confidence with these stories from other authors, thanks for sharing!

5. Xavier Baldacchino on May 27, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Such an interesting interview ! Always nice to discover new authors from you, their book piques my curiosity with all those twists they mention. Having the same passion is indeed really great. I couln't have shared all of our passions with anyone else. Someday it will be our interview out there when our book will be finished <3

6. Karla Pitzen on May 28, 2016 at 4:48 am

This is not a genre I read. However, I love how the couple began writing, as well as their process. Interesting interview!

7. Francis H Powell on May 28, 2016 at 8:14 am

I am also an author, I could not imagine co-authoring, but it must be quite exciting/rewarding to work in a such a way. It must mean you have the same vision, similar writing style etc. I really like the illustrations.

8. Gemima Kerren Cadet on May 28, 2016 at 1:31 pm

That was fascinating.never really thought that two ppl could work with such flow.definity going to be checking them out .

9. Jim on May 28, 2016 at 2:52 pm

I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and coverage!
    Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve added you guys to our blogroll.

10. Rosie Heather Roman on May 28, 2016 at 9:28 pm

This is such a cute interview! I create themed events with my boyfriend and it's so nice (although stressful at times) to be working together on a project. I think it brings couples closer together.

Rosie | http://www.rosieromance.com

11. Bella Bucchiotti on May 28, 2016 at 9:39 pm

I have never read a fantasy book, but is interesting to read their thoughts and process.

12. Chris V. Dass on May 29, 2016 at 1:41 am

This is awesome, working on my first novel at the moment and love reading interviews like this for inspiration. Keep them coming and I'll keep on reading ^_^

P.S. D&D for the win

13. TheGracefulMist on May 29, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I admire that they do something they both love to do. If more couples are cooperative like that, I think there will be more healthy relationships.

14. CourtneyLynne Storms on May 29, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Oooo what an interesting interview!!! Loved hearing how the couple decided to start on this novel adventure

15. Madeleine Swann on May 30, 2016 at 7:00 am

What an unusual way of doing things!

16. Anamika Ojha on May 31, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Nice Interview! You have asked some really nice questions and conducted it so well!
    Anamika Ojha recently posted…A Royal Getaway: The Brazilian Court, Palm Beach, Florida | ReviewMy Profile

17. Blogs by FA on June 1, 2016 at 3:27 pm

It is so nice when authors work together. It adds in a lot of creativity and improves the content. This was a lovely afternoon read.

18. AraceliBZega on July 13, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Hmm it appears such as your blog ate my first comment (it was actually
    super long) therefore i guess I’ll just sum it the things i had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still a novice to the whole thing.
    Do you possess any suggestions for novice blog writers?
    I’d genuinely appreciate it.