Interview with Erin Ritch – ‘Myth’ Book Release5 min read

I had the pleasure of interviewing Erin Ritchie, an author, a blogger, and an indie publisher; in celebration of  her YA novel Myth being released today!

1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve actually been writing since I was twelve years old! I’ve always loved creating worlds and going on adventures vicariously through my characters. Several years ago,
I realized I wanted to take the leap and turn my writing into a career. I left my 8-5 job so I could dedicate more time to the craft I love. It’s been a wonderful
change and I’m excited for the future!

2. And an indie publisher? Tell us more about the No Wyverns Publishing project.

The idea for the name came from my blog ‘There Are No Wyverns In This Story” that I started in 2015 to capture my short fiction and other random writer thoughts.
I was working on ‘Myth’ at the time and my husband knew it was a Fantasy story and asked if there were any Wyverns in the book. (A Wyvern is a mythical dragon-like creature.)
The blog was born from there and the following year I started No Wyverns Publishing to publish my own work – but it’s also a commitment I’ve made to myself and my readers to produce professional indie books. In the future, I want No Wyverns Publishing to help other self-published/indie authors who want to fulfill their own dreams of seeing their stories published but may not know where to start.

3. What were the biggest challenges since you began drafting ‘Myth’ until now?

As a mom to a very active and curious toddler, I would definitely say balancing family-time and writing-time was my biggest challenge. I was also working full-time while
finishing ‘Myth’ so I spent many, many late nights up writing after my daughter went to bed. Luckily, coffee exists!

4. Since today is the big release, what are your main thoughts or anxieties?

I am so excited! I have had the opportunity to work with an amazing team as we have developed ‘Myth’ to the best it can be – from my cover artist to my wonderful Beta readers.
I’m ready to send ‘Myth’ out into the world and I hope everyone enjoys the story as much as I enjoyed writing it.

5. Are there any authors that particularly inspired you?

Neil Gaiman has definitely inspired me, particularly some of his short fiction such as ‘October in the Chair.’ I also love the teachings and advice of Brenda Ueland. I’ve
read her book ‘If You Want To Write’ time and time again.

6. Why YA Fantasy?

I like to write across many different genres, but YA Fantasy was the perfect fit for ‘Myth.’ The characters start out in their early teens at the beginning of the story
and we follow them as they grow into young adults. I love the YA Fantasy genre because it appeals to so many different readers and age groups. We can all identify with a
coming-of-age story and if you can throw in some magic and adventure, all the better!

7. What or who incentivized and supported you the most?

I have been blessed with a wonderful support group of friends, family, co-workers, etc. that have cheered for me every step of the way – I’m very lucky! But my husband
Nick has been a constant source of advice and inspiration. He’s my ‘Ideal Reader’ as Stephen King would say. He’s also the wizard behind my websites, a book formatting genius, and all types of tech support!

8. If you could give one piece of advice to an indie author out there, what would it be?

Hire a cover artist/designer! Your book cover is your chance to catch a potential reader’s attention. Work with other indie artists who are looking to get their name
out there. It’s an investment you won’t regret and also a wonderful collaboration with another artist who is excited about your story!

9. Who should read ‘Myth’?

If you like Philip Pullman’s ‘His Dark Materials‘ or Erin Morgenstern’s ‘The Night Circus‘ I believe you would enjoy ‘Myth!’

10. Would you like to leave any last words to your potential readers and let us know where we can reach you?

I really hope everyone enjoys the story and gets excited about the world of ‘Myth.’ I love hearing from readers! You can contact me on my website or follow me on my blog Thank you so much!

myth ya fantasyMyth
by Erin Ritch
Genre: YA Fantasy
Print Length: 234 pages
Published by: No Wyverns Publishing
Release date: 25th July 2016

Shogun Saban dreams of becoming a woodsman like his grandfather; to fly between the trees and listen to their stories. But his father wants to keep him rooted on the ground and far away from his childhood friend, a girl of the sea named Madigan who can control the elements.

Beyond their little corner of the world, an evil has sprouted and is quietly spreading; corrupting its victims and marking them with eyes full of shadows. When it reaches their sleepy hometown of Shrunken Hollow, Shogun and Madigan search for the origin of the darkness – but the answer lies in an old myth about a place that only exists in dreams.

With the aid of the forest and the sea, Shogun and Madigan must unravel the myth before the darkness takes over their world – and themselves.

Buy on Amazon Goodreads

About the author

Erin Ritch is an author, blogger, and mom who lives on her family’s fledgling farm in rural Oregon. Always fascinated by storytelling in all its forms, she earned a degree in English Literature and studied Film at the Vancouver Film School. In 2016, Erin founded No Wyverns Publishing – an indie publisher with an eye on helping other independent authors achieve their dreams of being published.

1. Vanessa on July 26, 2016 at 12:04 pm

I agree – writing a book is not that unlike blogging – balancing writing while at home with family can be so tricky! good for her 🙂 the books sounds great!
    Vanessa recently posted…10 Things to Teach a Toddler in 10 Minutes or LessMy Profile

• Erin Ritch on July 26, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Thank you so much, Vanessa! I might have a few extra gray hairs, but somehow it’s all working out! 🙂 Thanks for your support!

2. Imogen Beth Clegg on July 26, 2016 at 2:07 pm

This is a great interview, I am partway through my first novel now whilst managing my blog and working full time so this is great to read!

• Erin Ritch on July 26, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Thanks, Imogen! Best of luck with your own novel and blog! I know it can be tough to find time to write after a full day of work, but you can do it!

3. Tania Potter - Soul Sense Coaching on July 26, 2016 at 3:44 pm

It is always nice to hear more about authors every day life. I love this genre and it is great she is writing for young adults.

• Erin Ritch on July 26, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Thanks, Tania! Nya was so gracious to interview me! I love writing for the YA genre (especially since I love the genre as a reader, as well!)

4. Bluedreamer on July 26, 2016 at 9:15 pm

I am actually not a bookworm and I am pretty picky when it comes to books I read.. I mostly go for Fantasy and Sci-Fi and so as Mystery genres which makes this book so ideal for my taste.. I also love the illustration on its cover and I love that he mention Stephen King too who is one of my most favorite authors.. I just hope his book will be available internationally… i would love to read it!

• Erin Ritch on July 26, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Hi Bluedreamer! I’m so glad you’re interested in reading Myth (I’m pretty excited about the cover, too!) Myth is also available to purchase internationally on Amazon! Here’s a link to Amazon UK for the e-book:

I hope you enjoy the story, thanks for your comment!

5. Tiina Arminen on July 27, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Absolutely great interview! I really appreciate and look up to people who can manage writing or any other creative work (but especially writing!) while having a small kid around or even a bigger one – it's not an easy job.

• Erin Ritch on July 28, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Thanks so much, Tiina! Luckily my daughter (she’s only three!) already understands that Mommy is a writer. She knows the names of all my books and likes to work on her own stories, as well. 🙂

6. Ana De Jesus on July 28, 2016 at 8:46 am

YA Fantasy is a great genre when executed well and it sounds like ‘Myth’ is the perfect example of forward thinking, genre blurring literature that we should all read.

• Erin Ritch on July 28, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Thanks, Ana – I appreciate that!

7. Dreammerin on July 28, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Really nice interview! There’s a lot of multitasking required. Maybe this book can be available internationally… I would like to read it!
    Dreammerin recently posted…Unlimited FutureMy Profile

• Erin Ritch on July 28, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Hi Dreammerin! Thanks for your comment! The great part about having a book on Amazon is that it is so easily available to readers around the world! Here’s a link to Myth from
      I hope you get a chance to read Myth – and enjoy it!

8. Fenrile on July 28, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Writing from the age of 12 is impressive and it’s even more to manage juggling between personal, professional life and writing passion. Leaving the job to be dedicated for it, it’s an inspiring interview. I like the title of the book, it’s simple and piqued the curiosity straight away. I agree that having a good cover is the first good step to catch the eye and the interest on a book, the cover of Myth is nice, I really like it
    Fenrile recently posted…Review – Why the Killing Joke isn’t funnyMy Profile

• Erin Ritch on July 29, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Thanks very much, Fenrile! It was a big change to leave my job, but I’m glad I did it!

9. Tescha Chetty on July 31, 2016 at 10:19 am

This book sounds great and wonderful for the YA generation. 🙂

10. Updates and the NW Book Fair - Erin Ritch on September 12, 2016 at 1:56 am

[…] on Myth – both the e-book and the print book are live! Did you catch my interview over at Nya Reads? What a great site, I loved her interview and her […]